Sometimes it's hard to find a plot, or to get an idea. Even harder is asking someone you've never written with before for a thread.
We could all use an excuse for our characters to RP together.
To that end, I give you: Thread Roulette.
This is essentially just a random assignment of two characters to start an RP together. I'll tag someone to start the thread and supply a prompt, which you are welcome to use or completely disregard, depending on your personal preferences. Here's how to play:
- Reply to this thread with the name of the character you would like to play.
- Once EIGHT members have replied, we'll randomly assign pairs of characters together, give them a topic and a thread starter, and send them on their merry way.
- So as not to hold up the other end of the tag, the topic starter will have three days to start the RP thread. If they don't start it within those three days, the other person will be dropped back into the lottery and be given the first new tag that's assigned.
- You can only have one active roulette thread, per character, at a time. If your thread is completed or your partner drops out for more than a week at a time, you can re-enter the roulette.
- Each time you complete a thread or have a week gap without a reply, just reply to this thread again, and we'll re-add your character(s) to the lottery.
- This is not necessarily a "first come, first served" game. People will be added to a general pool of requests, and we'll use a random number generator to pull out the characters that play together. Each time there are at least eight members waiting for a roulette, we'll pull the trigger, and two characters will be assigned. (So, for every 8 members in the pool, a new roulette will start.) To keep the game going, reply each time you finish a thread.
- For tagging/pairing purposes, please sign up with your character's full account name and your alias in brackets. I c/p everything straight from the sign up posts in order to avoid spelling mistakes, so it'd just make my life a little easier if you include the full name and alias so I know who you are, I can tag you and don't have to go looking for who owns what character to avoid pairing you with your own character by mistake. If you post without the OOC handle, your post will be deleted without being added to the current round.
- Character 1/2 refers to posting order, not to the order listed in the pairing/prompt post.
Please keep in mind that this is meant to be fun. If you really, really, REALLY don't want to thread with someone in the roulette pool, please PM an admin so that we can keep that in mind. We will do my best not to pair people against their will. This being said, you need a viable reason why you don't want to RP with this person. Threadroulette is supposed to be random, after all, and we use an online generator to pair people up. "I just don't want to RP with them" does not count as a viable excuse. Give people a chance, and they might surprise you.
- One of you mistakes the other for someone else entirely.
- Character 1 buys coffee/drink/whatever for Character 2 behind them in line.
- Character 1 gets an awkward *beverage of choice* spilled in their lap by Character 2
- Character 1 has to climb a tree to rescue a cat or bird and gets stuck. Character 2 has to help. Or ignore.
- Character 1 thinks that Character 2 is the person they hooked up with last night.
- Character 1 needs to hide from trouble and uses Character 2 for cover.
- Character 1 pins the blame for something on Character 2 who has no idea what's going on.
- Start the thread with the words, "Darling, stop."
- Character 1 has fallen asleep in a library. Character 2 must wake them up.
- Character 1 is running a basket full of laundry upstairs, unmentionables on top, as you do, and runs into Character 2
- Your character (Character 2) is trying to get rid of some object, and has to persuade the other character to take it.
- One of the characters is ridiculously drunk.
- You should know who the other character in the thread is, but you can't remember. Spend the entire thread trying to pretend you know, but try to make them reveal who they are.
- Character 2 is on their way inside when it starts to rain. They don't remember the spell to dry off. Character 1 is commissioned for help.
- Character 1 is hit with a curse that makes them always tell the truth for 24 hours.
- Character 1 is hit with a curse that makes them always lie for 24 hours.
- Both characters are stuck in detention but only one of you is guilty.
- Character 1 has taken a polyjuice potion (reason is up to you) and character 2 strikes up a conversation. Character 1 has to try not to reveal who they are.
- Ah, love! Character 1 has mistakenly drunken a love potion and character 2 is the unwitting target of their affection! (effect will only last a few hours).
- You've been made invisible for the day. What will you do with this new power? Your thread partner has to try and catch you!
- Character 1 is avoiding someone they cannot tolerate and thus throws themselves deeply into conversation with Character 2.
- Character 1 is being followed by Character 2 who has been cursed to act like a (creature of choice) for one hour.
- Your characters are trapped in a broom closet together!
- You have been hit by a rough spell and now convinced that your RP partner is your long lost cat. Bonus if you start scratching under your RP partner's chin.
- You have mistaken the other person as someone you know and right now trying to convince him/her that you are not wrong.
- Start your thread with the sentence; 'you are not welcome here,'
- Character 1 is pretty sick right now, but pretending (s)he isn't. Character 2 is in close proximity to the cesspool of germs that is Character 1.
- Character 1 has something very, very important to say to Character 2, but they're in public and Character 2 is late for something. Try to hint at it?
- Character 1 found a note they think is from Character 2. It wasn't.
- Character 1 is running late for work. Character 2 crashes into Character 1, spilling hot coffee all over them.
- Character 2 is trying to catch -discreetly- another character's attention. Character 1 is not the target, but sees them.
- Character 1 buys the last item in a shop that Character 2 desperately needs.
- Character 2 is making a potion and needs absolute silence for this step. Character 1 is cursed to YELL WHENEVER THEY SPEAK.
- Character 1 is checking out a broom in the window of Quality Quidditch Supplies. Character 2 is standing outside the window and thinks Character 1 is checking them out.
- Character 1 is heading home late at night. Character 2 is walking behind them, and keeps following Character 1.
- Character 1 is injured (insertinjuryhere)! Character 2 is the only one nearby and has to take them to get medical attention.
- Character 2 needs to buy some sort of private item (i.e tampons, condoms, etc). Character 1, however, is standing right there and looking at something else in that aisle.
- Character 1 skipped lunch and is very hungry but can't seem to find the kitchens. Cue Character 2 being asked for help.
- Character 2 needs a specific book. Character 1 is merely reading it for fun. However, there's only one copy of the book.
- Both characters picked up each other's bag instead of their own. They're now meeting to switch back.
- Character 1 has been waiting for this specific item for weeks to come into stock. However, they arrive late and Character 2 has the last one. Can you convince Character 2 to give it to you instead?
- Character 1 has been consistently doing something that Character 2 finds obnoxious, and Character 2 is about to call them out.
- Character 1 is completing a task, but Character 2 barges through and interrupts / destroys it.
- Character 1 is extremely busy, but Character 2 keeps finding ways to distract or interrupt them.
- Both characters were playing wingman for friends who decided to go home together. They are now stuck together.
- Character 1 is in a Floo but is taking their time about travelling. Character 2 is in a great hurry and tries to move Character 1 along.
- Character 1 asked for your help getting a book off the top shelf but Character 2 finds the subject of that book distasteful and/or hilarious.
- Character 1 takes their grades very seriously and Character 2 is asking a ton of off-topic questions to distract the professor.
- Character 1 is having a private conversation with someone else, but it's incredibly interesting to Character 2, who can't resist interrupting.
- Character 1 is about to do something stupid. Character 2 does not think this is a good idea.
- Character 2 and Character 1 are at a wild party. Character 2 does not want to be there. Character 1 is drunk and looking for a new best friend.
- Include the phrase "this isn't what it looks like, I swear"
- Character 1 is hopelessly lost, and asks Character 2 for directions.
- Your characters have been inexplicably roped into volunteering at a local animal shelter. RP them surrounded by orphaned puppies and/or kittens.
- Character 1 and Character 2 get caught up in a storm and must stay sheltered together until it passes.
- Character 2 helping Character 1 with chores.
- Character 2 and Character 1 as rivals in a competition or contest. Character 2 wins.
- Character 1 and Character 2 watching a very sad movie. Character 1 is crying.
- Character 2 is hit with a curse that gives them temporary amnesia. Character 1 is stuck helping them regain their memories.
- Character 2 suspects Character 1 is a werewolf. Character 1 is actually hiding a more mundane secret.
- Character 1 has taken the last of Character 2's favourite food at a buffet. What happens next?
- You have arrived at an event wearing the same outfit, right down to shoes and accessories.
- You have somehow ended up handcuffed together, and the key has mysteriously disappeared. . .
- Character 1 has a hangover, and Character 2 is being really noisy nearby.
- Character 2 is cornered by a bully, but Character 1 comes to the rescue.
- Character 1 in a thrift shop (or some other locale) and you don't have enough money to pay for your items. Character 2 offers to help you out.
- Open up a random word generator (like this one)Your first paragraph must contain at least six words from the generator (list the words at the top of your post)
- Turn on the radio or set your preferred music player to shuffle, include the first song you hear in your starting post. You can use the song title as the thread title, include the lyrics in the thread, use the song as a general theme for the thread, or a mix of all of the above.
More to come! Feel free to give ideas in here
Elise LeClair (Hluff)